Welcome to the English section of Saaranga Magazine. With this second start Saaranga magazine is branching out in a new direction. Our focus with this English section is two-fold: first, encourage newer, younger, Telugu voices writing in English, and second, bring forth translations from Telugu into English.
We can all agree, to a degree less or more, that the younger generation is losing touch with Telugu. Young men and women do not see Telugu as a language necessary for their identity. Nor do they find Telugu culture reflective of their modern, progressive aspirations.
As a result, the great traditions of liberal arts that thrive in English language are no longer resonating with the same meaning in modern Telugu culture (of course, one can always find exceptions, and that just proves the rule).
Wherever we look within Telugu, either as a language or as a literature, we can’t seem to find either conversations that make us better citizens, or the literary criticism that catches the attention of the great minds of the world, wherever they are.
We feel a sense of urgency to find a way out of this morass of our own making. Let us open wide a window into English, and let the fresh, youthful, open-minded, open-hearted, progressive, breeze open our imagination.
How to submit articles
- We are keen on good literary criticism of Telugu works. And translations from Telugu into English.
- We love the voices of newer, including first-time, writers.
- If your article is published already somewhere else, then please do not ask us to publish it here.
- Send your articles in either Word, a text file, in the email body, or as a Google doc. Include any images that go with the article. Please do not send us PDF files. If you have no other choice, then we may consider PDF, but no guarantees.
- Format your articles reasonably well. We cannot copy or line edit your articles.
- Email your articles to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saaranga Editorial Team (Afsar, Kalpana, Raj)
Featured image: New Clouds by Nandalal Bose (1937) WikiArt.org